A strong defence is without a doubt the best offence.
I’m the kind of person who catches a cold every single winter. Every few weeks I come down with another cold or another cough. So I’m always down to hear the best advice and tips when it comes to winter health. This season, I’d really like to keep my body on it’s A-game.
Which is how on a chilly winter morning one week ago, I found myself setting my alarm bright and early, trekking over to London Bridge to kickstart the day with Bio-tiful Diary. I do mean literally kick-start.
Because Bio-tiful Dairy knows that the winter season isn’t just about the internal self-defence, it’s about the external too. That means keeping fit and healthy by sweating out your toxins. Say hello to an early morning of boxing.
It’s been ages since I’d done a boxing class and I was up for the challenge. So were my classmates! With a room full of in shape, sassy, spirited women… well, we were off!
I met the lovely Georgia that morning and we hit it off instantly. But also, yes, literally. We were partnered up to punch, kick and motivate each other. 40 minutes later, we were all sweaty and in much need of coffee and breakfast. My favourite way to start the day is with exercise, so I couldn’t have been happier.
Despite my love of exercise, I’m one of those people who when they work out looks like I’ve been through an actual marathon in the desert. Sweaty. Red. Slightly puffy. It’s OK though, because I knew breakfast was in my future.
With that in mind, our crew rushed to get ourselves ready at super speed and then off to London Grind for a spot of breakfast and to try the kefir Bio-tiful Diary products. After all, our bodies took a bit of a battering in the morning gym session, so a refuel was necessary for the day ahead.
Breakfast couldn’t have possibly looked dreamier.
Strong coffees, avocado, chili flakes and toast, muesli, kefir and Cherry Smoothies? We couldn’t have asked for more.
Until this very breakfast, I had no idea what Kefir was. I’d never tried it before. So, what’s the deal with Kefir? It tastes a bit like a slightly thicker, fresher milk. Kefir is high in protein and has a long list of health benefits studied, including naturally supporting digestion, immunity and energy levels. Essentially, kefir is vital to your gut health.
And luckily for us, we actually had the CEO and founder of Bio-tiful Diary at breakfast with us, Natasha Bowes. Bowes started Bio-tiful when she couldn’t find any Kefir products in London that lived up to the quality and taste she was used to growing up in Russia. Natasha told us that it was very natural to start the day with a glass of kefir and was shocked that she couldn’t get the same type of quality in London.
To be totally honest, I’m glad she couldn’t find it in London. Because then she wouldn’t have been inspired to start her company. And Bio-tiful Dairy’s Organic Kefir is actually really good. The following day after our London Grind breakfast, I even popped out to the shops and picked up some muesli to enjoy it again at home.
We’re now a bit hooked on it. And it helps, because we’ve been doing a bit of a pre-Christmas detox at home. Cutting back on nights out, alcohol intake, and unnecessary sugars. Don’t get me wrong, a glass of wine is always welcome, but we’re definitely trying to scale back before the holidays are in full swing.
And we’re not alone. Almost 12 million Brits are entering into a Christmas and Winter ‘pre-tox’ this month, according to new research from Bio-tiful Dairy. Natasha Bowes, of Bio-tiful Dairy, commented:
“Our research shows that people look to increase their immunity and self-defence against illness during the winter months. By launching Bio-tiful Kefir into Tesco, we’re providing people with an accessible way to fuel themselves with a protein-rich and immune system supporting product. Enjoyed as a drink, an on-the-go snack or as an addition to breakfast and other meals, we’re delighted that Bio-tiful Kefir supports the pre-tox trend identified, and look forward to more people discovering the benefits.”
So there you have it! With the recent release of Bio-tiful Dairy into supermarket giant, Tesco, as of last week these quality kefir products become instantly available to boost your health.
And what better time to start feeling good than right now?
Last but not least pals, the brilliant Lucy Jones (MRES BSC Hons RD MBDA, Award-winning Dietitian & Broadcaster) was on hand at the breakfast to talk us through tips to stay healthy this festive season. And boy did I need these in my life.
Lucy’s top winter season tips:
- Eat a range of colourful, vitamin rich foods with every meal. Vitamins A and C can be found in a range of fruits and vegetables. Vitamin E has anti-oxidant properties and can be added to meals by using nuts, seeds, and olive and rapeseed oils.
- Zinc supports immunity and can help in fighting colds. Take it as a supplement or incorporate zinc into diets by eating lean meat, fish and seafood, nuts, seeds and beans.
- Friendly bacteria, found in fermented foods and supplements, can support the body’s defences against viruses. Kefir contains high levels of these bacteria and different strains, as well as being high in protein and vitamins.
- Staying hydrated is essential in maintaining health and fighting illness. Alcohol can suppress the immune system. Drinking plenty of water over the festive season is key.
- Food hygiene is important with staying healthy. Making sure you wash your hands before cooking and using hand sanitizer before eating can keep germs from spreading.
- Make sure you’re getting sufficient calories when following a healthy diet. Including eating a range of different foods, which supply different nutrients. This is crucial for energy and mental performance.
- Overindulgence across the festive season is normal. But it can cause bloating, sleep disruption, reflux, worsening of IBS symptoms and impact energy levels. Enjoy your festive foods in moderation.
- Adequate sleep helps support the immune system and maintain necessary energy levels. Seven hours is recommended to keep you functioning at your very best.
- Keeping active can boost your immune system. However, extreme exercise can put increased pressure on your body and reduce immunity temporarily. Make sure to adjust your diet according to your activity regime.
- Many foods are especially helpful in promoting good health, rather than there being any singular ‘superfood’. Oranges are a great source of Vitamin C. Garlic has antimicrobial and immunomodulatory properties.
Stay healthy this season… and hopefully, we’ll be able to battle off a few more colds this year!
Bio-tiful Dairy’s six-flavour-strong range is available in Waitrose, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Co-op, Ocado, Amazon Fresh, Whole Foods Market, Selfridges and several other UK retailers.
PS. This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Bio-tiful Dairy. But all views, comments and photos (except the ones of me in the workout class) are my own. Seriously, the products are really yum. I’ve already gone out to get more for our fridge. Kel x